Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Underdogs: The Novel of the Mexican Revolution

On the Surface: The Transformation or Revelation of Demetrio Macías as, Part II

“The Matrix Reloaded:”

- Luis Cervantes, the bourgeoisie:

“You still don’t realize your true, lofty, noble mission. You are a modest man without ambitions, you do not wish to realize the exceedingly important role you are destined to play in the revolution. It’s not true that you took up arms simply because of Don Mónico, the cacique. You rose up to protest against the evils of all the caciques who are ruining the whole nation” (Cervantes to Demetrio, 44).

- Guero Margarito, captain in the Northern Division:

“ ‘Hey, waiter,’ ” Güero Margarito cried, “ ‘I ordered ice water…. And I’m not begging for it, either, see? Look at this wad of bills; I’ll buy you and…your old woman, understand? I don’t care if it ran out or why it ran out…It’s up to you to find some way to get it. I tell you, I don’t want excuses, I want my ice water. Are you bringing it, or not? No?...Well, take this…’ ”

“A heavy blow sent the waiter reeling to the floor.”

“ ‘That’s just the way I am, General Macías’ ” (81-82).

Pintada, the female revolutionary and companion to Margarito:

“ ‘What stupid fools,’ ” said Pintada, convulsed with laughter. “ ‘Where the hell are you from? Soldiers don’t sleep in hotels and inns anymore. Where do you come from? You just go anywhere you like and pick a house that pleases you, and you take without asking any one for permission. Who’s the revolution for, anyhow? For the rich folks? We’re the fancy ones now... (83).

Demetrio, now General Demetrio, must process and assimilate current stratagems with the “urbane Cervantes" and the opposing perspectives that redefine the private revolution.


Edith

No comments: